FAMILY SUPPORT PROJECT
SPECIAL NEEDS SUPPORT - April
Raising a preschooler with disabilities poses unique child rearing challenges. You begin a journey that takes you into a world filled with strong emotion, interaction with countless professionals and specialists, financial burdens you hadn’t anticipated, and sometimes isolation from friends and relatives whose journey does not parallel yours. Your life includes Individual Education Programs (IEPs,) Multi-factored Evaluations (MFEs,) and special education laws that you never knew existed.
The Special Needs Family Support Project is here to support you as you travel different roads and learn new skills. Thanks to a generous grant from United Way, the Special Needs Family Support Project is able to provide information and support to families raising preschoolers with disabilities. Choose from a comprehensive menu of services listed below. All services are provided at no cost to participants. See monthly calendar for details. For additional information, contact Holly Palda at (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 216-921-2023.
Family Fun Fridays
- Family Fun Friday is a facilitated playgroup that meets on a drop-in basis EVERY Friday from 1:00 to 3:00 PM at the Shaker Family Center located at 19824 Sussex Road in Shaker Heights. An opportunity for children to socialize with other preschoolers and families to meet other families raising preschoolers with special needs.
- Special activities include music and movement with a board certified music therapist every 2nd and 3rd Friday from 1:30 to 2:00 PM and a monthly interactive story time one Friday per month from 2:00 to 2:30 PM.
Parent Support Group
- A parent to parent group offering opportunities to share information and emotional support with other families raising preschoolers with special needs.
Pizza and Play
- An evening of April 28th in our all-abilities large muscle playroom and our multi-use family playroom. An opportunity for dedicated parent/child playtime as well as peer to peer interaction. For preschoolers with special needs. Every 4th Monday of the month from 5:30 to 7:30 PM.
Parent Education and Discussion Series
- Ongoing parent education programs on topics of interest to parents raising preschoolers with disabilities.
- Designed to help families make informed decisions about their child’s education. One to one assistance with all aspects of the IEP process. The ABC's of IEP's
Session 1: March 25 - Understanding Your Child's Evaluation.
Session 2: April 8 - Rescheduled for April 15
Session 3: April 15 - Understanding the Individualized Education Program (IEP).
Session 3: April 22 - Working Collaboratively with your School District.
Individualized Education Program (IEP) Consultation