FAMILY SUPPORT PROJECT
SPECIAL NEEDS SUPPORT - June
Raising a preschooler with disabilities poses unique child rearing challenges. You begin a journey that takes you into a world filled with strong emotion, interaction with countless professionals and specialists, financial burdens you hadn’t anticipated, and sometimes isolation from friends and relatives whose journey does not parallel yours. Your life includes Individual Education Programs (IEPs,) Multi-factored Evaluations (MFEs,) and special education laws that you never knew existed.
The Special Needs Family Support Project is here to support you as you travel different roads and learn new skills. Thanks to a generous grant from United Way, the Special Needs Family Support Project is able to provide information and support to families raising preschoolers with disabilities. Choose from a comprehensive menu of services listed below. All services are provided at no cost to participants. See monthly calendar for details. For additional information, contact Holly Palda at (email@example.com) or call 216-921-2023.
Family Fun Fridays
- A facilitated playgroup that meets on a drop-in basis EVERY Friday from 1:00 to 3:00 PM at the Shaker Family Center located at 19824 Sussex Road in Shaker Heights. An opportunity for children to socialize with other preschoolers and families to meet other families raising preschoolers with special needs.
- Special activities include music and movement with a board certified music therapist every 2nd and 3rd Friday from 1:30 to 2:00 PM and a monthly interactive story time one Friday per month from 2:00 to 2:30 PM.
Parent Support Group
- A parent to parent group offering opportunities to share information and emotional support with other families raising preschoolers with special needs.
Pizza and Play
- An evening of Pizza and Play in our all-abilities large muscle playroom and our multi-use family playroom. An opportunity for dedicated parent/child playtime as well as peer to peer interaction. For preschoolers with special needs. Every 4th Monday of the month from 5:30 to 7:30 PM.
Parent Education and Discussion Series
- Ongoing parent education programs on topics of interest to parents raising preschoolers with disabilities. Click on link to see current offerings.
- Current issue: January 2013
Individualized Education Program (IEP) Consultation
- Designed to help families make informed decisions about their child’s education. One to one assistance with all aspects of the IEP process.